Downloads web site, how would you host/cdn it?

Posted On // Leave a Comment

Hello, I have a small stupid web page where I host Android ROMs which makes about 100 downloads per day for 30GB/day = 1TB/m of BW on average. Nothing serious or resources consuming. Now I'm thinking of expanding creating a full featured web site. My problem is: how do I host it in a way that I load balance the resources for the first months without wasting a fortune? At the beginning it will a very niche website so I would expect to get 1000 downloads per day for various months, that translates to 100TB/m and that's a lot even for medium VPS. Of course this could lower especially at the very beginning.


I'm looking for a solution that, when the site is on experimental stages, I spend the least possible and then I can upgrade to more resources. I know I described basically a cloud service but I think they cost too much for me now and I'd like to play around with custom configurations :)


I thought of these options:


1) buy 3 VPS's from fliphost (3 x 50GB HDD Unmetered 100Mbit for $18/y each) for storage and use them in round robin solution (mirroring or just host one ROM copy in one server) + a front end VPS that hosts the actual website with database. Advantages: cheap price for storage/BW, I suppose I get a LAN to transfer files between local VPS's Disadvantages: no multiple locations, i'm not sure if the cpu is enough considering the price


2) cloud service, I checked digital ocean and vultrm, they're not very storage-oriented I get huge amount of ram and cpu I don't need so I don't think they're worth the money for this project. Vultr has the storage plans but the BW is low. Advantages: I suppose I get a LAN to transfer files, multiple locations, easy way to upgrade in seconds Disadvantages: I pay for RAM and SSD I don't need, high prices for the usage


3) big dedicated server and run all in there. I'm not sure if this a good idea but I could get a lowend dedicated server like online.net or kimsufi, considering the huge amount of RAM/HDD and BW I could host everything there. Advantages: All in one place, good prices for what you get Disadvantages: All in one place, no redundancy, the website could slowdown the "mirror" function or vice versa. Difficult to upgrade or add locations.


So what do you think? Could you give me an advice on how you would do it at the beginning for the least money (not the just the provider but how you would actually organize things). I'm also willing to switch provider/solution one time when the site gets big (if) but the second time must be definitive so I that I can upgrade accordingly without changing everything. Also it would great if these services won't count inbound traffic!


Thank you!


http://ift.tt/1dvHQ0Z

0 comments:

Post a Comment