Thanks for LET, but you've left me in a quandary :)

Posted On // Leave a Comment

Hanging around / lurking here has been an interesting experience and has opened my eyes to how I could have been saving money with my hosting compared to what I've been paying Linode these last few years.


Right now I'm torn between getting an ultra cheap VPS or using a Dedicated box, the lure of both is incredibly strong and the more I sit and look at it and compare the offers of the various VPS deals, the harder it is to make a choice. I was building a spreadsheet for myself of all my options and its become quickly overwhelming :)


The original idea was to simply save money. Why pay Linode $360 a year to host a website/rarely updated blog and email server when I could get a cheap monthly / yearly deal from the adverts here? Then I started discovering the high HD options like VPSDime Stroage VPS & the Dedibox XC from Online.net which opened up the thought that I could finally have an online backup of bits of my data (like 10 years of digital photos, bought books & comics and other stuff) that I could access as needed.


I actually spent the last few days building up a spreadsheet of various deals and every time I look at it I feel no closer to making a decision.


I could continue with the Dedibox from Online.net, not save any money (actually pay a little more) but have a box that is well and truly mine. I don't need to worry about CPU or Ram usage. However I would still want to VPN into the UK occasionally, so I would need to get one of DireVPS's offers.


Or I could be super cheap and use one of many cheap VPS's like Rootnerds (I am trying out the myXXXL plan, great box but slow link compared to VPSDime/XVMLabs, Online.net) or DireVPS, Ramnode, Kihi Hosting, VMBox, MyCustomHosting, GreenValueBox, Crissic(?) and so on.


Or I could go kind of in the middle with something like VPSDime's Storage VPS, assuming they come back in stock :), and pay $7-14 a month for lots of storage and being able to host stuff too. Though once I get up to paying $14 a month, the whole "well if you pay a little more, you have this box all to yourself with that Dedibox" and then I go through it all again.


So yeah, I'm super thankful that LET exists and for it opening my eyes to new possibilities, but dang has it left me in a quandary :)


http://ift.tt/1dvHQ0Z

0 comments:

Post a Comment