External Uptime monitoring: PING or TCP test?

Posted On // Leave a Comment

So, I have access to 2 external monitoring services.

(A) Reputable Provider with 7-SourceLocation 1-minute interval - PING, HTTP/s, custom TCP port

(B) 5min Statuscake FREE tier - PING , HTTP(s), custom TCP


I like that StatusCake has Pushbullet notifications; so already using that for HTTP(s) sites.


However, I was thinking I should use (A) for network-uptime notifications for hosts doing other availability-sensitive things like remote syslog. (I can probably hack up a custom hook to pushbullet later using (A)'s webhooks)


Is ICMP Ping a sensible choice for external network uptime monitoring?

Or does someone here do something crazy like run a tiny TCP server daemon on a high unprivileged port just to send TCP ACKs.

(SSH tcp port wouldn't work, since I'm in the process of putting ssh access behind an iptables whitelist)


Is there something like that out there? Is a userspace netcat LISTEN process safe to run?

If I had the ability to combine/cascade PING and TCP tests, which would be the order of testing? TCP, then PING? or other way around?


http://ift.tt/1dvHQ0Z

0 comments:

Post a Comment