PPTP Much Slower Than OpenVPN

Posted On // Leave a Comment

Hi All,


It's a topic that I've seen discussed, but haven't found a resolution for.


When using OpenVPN on an OpenVZ VPS, I can pull 18-19 Mbps. Using PPTP (via PoPToP) on the same VPS, I'm lucky to get 1 Mbps (2 Mbps if I play around with the settings and catch a jet stream).


After researching this, the "obvious" suspect is my MTU settings in the PPTPd config. Indeed, setting the MTU to 1400 wouldn't even let some websites load; apparently it's quite common for speedtest and WHT to go out with an incorrect MTU setting. Playing with the MTU a bit, I was able to get those sites to load, and even head above 1 Mbps, but I'm still a far cry from 18 Mbps. I've tried settings +/- 1400.


Any ideas on further items to try?


Thanks!


http://lowendtalk.com/discussions/feed.rss

0 comments:

Post a Comment