My project is no longer about GFW. It's about saving the net.

Posted On // Leave a Comment

It's been a bit too long since my last post. I've been getting freaking stellar feedback from the folks here, I'm hoping that will continue. I read recently that folks in the USA on VERIZON FIBER OPTIC connections can't use netflix. Simply not okay.


This is going to be a quick & dirty style, I'm not much of a pro with code, but pretty good at using it in new and interesting ways, and getting better at writing / interpreting it every day.


The topology of the Internet has always been its saving grace. I'm genuinely concerned that at this point it is getting a bit too centralized. I've 3 ideas that should help to counter this:


1) P2P VPN(Implementation details to follow-- trying all current implementations, if you're aware of a P2P VPN, please do reply with its name, because I'd like to test it out.


2) A "router/server" that spawns VPNs from VPSes & works on finding the best route (and in some use-cases, learns the best route from the P2P network)


3) An inverse cloud of personal servers; one per dwelling would be ideal. I think that this is the most significant concept here.


Instead of this: "everyone needs to put their things into the corporate, information analyzed, spied-on cloud in order to enjoy the collaboration benefits of cloud tech"


We do this: "everyone can self-host cloud apps and know that their content is backed up, encrypted, on other people's disks-- or not, at their discretion, and they can still collaborate, because nodes use a defined protocol for interoperability, and the devs of the world get an incredible new toy."


I love the features of the cloud, and I also love the control/security of knowing that regardless of a company's balance sheet or a government's competition policy, I'll be able to access my files.


So:


Yes, still doing the self-spawning insta-VPN based on VPSes. Curious if there are independent hosts out there that have implemented Pay Per Hour & digitalocean style node spawning features. If no one has, I have an inkling it may be a good time to figure out how to do so.


http://ift.tt/1dvHQ0Z

0 comments:

Post a Comment